This list is inspired by Robert’s Big List O Ideas. Just like his ideas, some of the ideas here are nearly possible, (with a bit of work), while others are merely dreams and science fiction. Feel free to adopt them and realize them. If you do, please drop me a line.
I hope you’ll keep them free and open source.
- 3D Printed Crayon
- An SLS printer that prints crayons. Mechanics could be similar to Andreas Bastian’s SLS wax printer.
- Pink Lemons
- Genetically modified lemons to be pink. Could start with a white knockout lemon and insert pink floral gene. There are lemon-grapefruit crossbreeds but they are only pink on the outside.
- “Pink lemonade made from real pink lemons.”
- Tiny Woolly Mammoths
- Dog sized woolly mammoths or smaller. Tiny migrations across the table.
- WebGL Model Downloader
- Word on the street is that you can reverse engineer a rendered 3D model in WebGL to ‘download’ said model. No idea if possible, but intriguing.
- Cheap 8-Sample Miniprepperer
- Have a robotic arm load samples into centrifudge. Can you existing 8 column pipetter.
- GATTACA Enzyme
- Glasses Designs from Genetic Algorithms
- Programmatically create a population of glasses designs, and have users be the fitness test. Create better designs through genetic algorithms.
- Artificial Vines
- Programmatically created vines that engulf a given object. Have break points, so they can be 3D printed and assembled in real life.