I’ve been watching the L2K tutorials on Youtube to learn to cast keycaps.
While the tutorials are fantastic, I had to watch several times to compile a list of materials. I’m starting from scratch so I needed to acquire everything.
For the Two-Part Silicone Mold
- Lego bricks and base plate (a small kit with many bricks works great, you don’t need all the bricks to be 2×8)
- Mold Star 30 (silicone)
- Mann 200 or Smooth On Universal Release (mold release)
- L2K adapters (to secure your master keycap to the mold box)
For the Resin Keys
- Polyurethane resin (I accidentally got epoxy resin, but they have similar properties)
- Resin dye (any solid/mica dye or a liquid dye)
- Mold release (see above)
- Sand paper (to polish the keycap bottom)
- Pressure pot (I don’t have one but the videos strongly recommend this)
- Graduated syringes (you’ll need to mix 1:1 ratios for silicone and resin; catheter tips are better than Luer locks or needles)
- Disposable containers (I’m using plastic egg cartons and other household plastic refuse)
- Stirrers (any small stick will work)