I’m new to both Kotlin and Android development. Since my upcoming job will focus on building an Android app in Kotlin, I’m going through some tutorials to ease my ramp up.
A lot of Kotlin+Android tutorials assume the reader is already familiar with Android development. Unfortunately, I need a gentler entry.
As someone who’s familiar with web development and knows a little Java, here’s what I found to be helpful:
- Kotlin Koans – Forget about setting up your favorite text editor to run Kotlin, and just dive right in. The online Kotlin playground gives you a taste of the language.
- Codelabs for Android Developer Fundamentals (V2) – I’m not sure how much Google will maintain these codelabs, but for now, they’re a solid introduction. All the sample code and tasks are in Java, but you can easily write everything in Kotlin.
- Keddit — Intro: Learn Kotlin while developing an Android App – This tutorial assumes you’re comfortable with Java and Android development. It gives good advice on how to interface with various libraries.
Other resources I’ve heard are good (but haven’t dug into yet):
- Kotlin in Action – I’ve seen this book mentioned in a lot of places but haven’t had a chance to read it yet.
- Lynda Courses by Chiu-Ki – I met Chiu-Ki at a local Meetup. She’s been mentoring a lot of junior developers in the area. I heard from the junior devs that they found her Lynda courses to be super helpful. I haven’t watched any of the lessons yet, but they seem like a good resource.
I’m still in the early stages of learning and will revise this post once I’m a couple months in.
Got other suggestions? Let me know!